Friday, May 16, 2008

If you say nothing, they will hear nothing.

The Church opposes same-gender marriages and any efforts to legalize such marriages. Church members are encouraged "to appeal to legislators, judges, and other government officials to preserve the purposes and sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman, and to reject all efforts to give legal authorization or other official approval or support to marriages between persons of the same gender" (First Presidency letter, 1 Feb. 1994).


As a United States citizen, Latter Day Saint, and registered voter - it is my responsibility to let my government leaders know how I feel about gay "marriage".

3 comments:

  1. I have been watching this unfold on the TV and have been thinkng quite a bit about it. Living in San Francisco means knowing many gay people. Some at Dave's work, some neighbors, and some who are even good friends of ours. One friend in particular my husband and I have known for years and years. He introduced us, kind of... We met him at BYU and he even served a mission for our church. When we found out how he was now living his life it was pretty shocking to us, but we thought the best thing we could do is remain good friends with him. I am sure he realizes we feel very strongly about our beliefs, but we still appreciate his friendship. Long story short. I do believe we should get out there and vote, but I don't think we need to voice any anger about it. I don't think that shunning them for their lifestyle is the way to go. Okay, now I am rambling. Anyways, good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if that came off angry. It was not my intention.

    I have every respect for the way any consenting adult wants to live their sexual lives. I'm fine with them being my neighbors, friends, School teaches, etc.

    My post was strictly meant to comment on the current gay "marriage" issue. And the legal definition of marriage.

    Last note. I'd be perfectly happy to allow all consenting adults (gay, straight, friends, family, strangers) every legal & financial privilege that is currently given between a married man and woman. No person's rights should be limited.

    eg. (insurances, taxes, wills, legal decisions, 'inheritance, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think you sounded angry at all. I thought it was a great post. It just got me thinking (or rather rambling) out loud. You actually said it way better that I did in your comment!

    ReplyDelete